Saturday 30 August 2008

Dear Diabolic Dean...


Brook!
I know I promised not to mention any stories from my side of life as a student in the dent fac but today's incident is kind of necessary. It's nothing big but I'll be honest in stating my opinions of it so, colleagues beware!

the face says it all

As usual on Friday mornings, lectures on Oral Surgery. Today was the dean's turn [he's not really diabolic, I just liked the way it sounded] and he LOVE's asking questions. Testing us if we actually understand what we were being taught or at least the meaning of commonly used words. Yes, very normal and very relevant but the way he does it, to me it's disgusting. And many other students have that sense of negativity towards him too but maybe in other ways.

So I entered the classroom and as the other studs were filling in, I recognized a pattern, the same thing happened when I was with their seniors last year. They left the front 4 rows empty and crowded at the back. No offense but WHAT THE HELL??!! That's absurd! I know they didn't want to be the victim of his frequent bombardment of stomach-quenching questions but how in the hell would stepping back 4 rows was going to help them escape? As I said, fucking absurd! Other than that, it was fucking rude! I just couldn't grab the rationale of doing such a thing. We're practically adults but we still make choices like we did back in pre-school years. And I thought I was the one being left behind in maturing.

They preach unity [not all but I know a few] but here is where they subconsciously reveal their selfishness. When you're faced with a problem, you have 2 main choices: Get through it or run from it. If you choose the previous, then there's 2 other choice: Face it headstrong or by sucking up to it. I think they chose neither and was simply being obnoxious. What should've been done was to join up forces and strike. Today, I tried to make them [the juniors] sit in the front rows with me, like I did last year, but it's hard when you're the only one believing in something. The majority thinking always wins but they're not always right and I am never going to succumb to the saying, 'If you can't beat them, join them'. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I feel relieved leaving them. But today I found myself trapped in dejavu, here it goes again [does the OkGo treadmill dance].

Other than that, back to the lecture, a few people did eventually sit next to me but only after the dean enquired of their actions. Then he started with the questions, finally leading to "what is the meaning of pain?" While he asked a few people I formulated my own answer on a piece of paper. In the end he came to me with the same question and I answered, "the sensation inflicted by any hurting factor." He quickly pulled the mic and said, "bla3, I couldn't even understand what you just said." And goes off to ask other studs. They laughed at the scene. Okay fine, so maybe I mumbled a bit but he didn't even give me a chance to clearly restate it. If he did hear my answer he certainly didn't want the others to hear it from me. If he didn't hear it then obviously he's already full of himself by assuming nobody can answer his simple question. When nobody could provide a satisfying answer he finally said, "Pain is the sensation when your are hurt in mind or body." ...
Not to boast but my answer was the closest anybody could get. It practically means the same thing except for the mind and body part or as I would put it, emotionally and physically. You know where I'm going with this. I don't think he wants anyone to correctly answer him, because then he wouldn't be able to lavish in the glory of being the only one right or the only one with a thought. Now, how
are we supposed to look up to a prick like that?

Well, I hope that's the last of it. Sorry for the harsh language and sorry to those who were offended in the process of me making my point. I apologize but I have to stick to my principles of being honest. The truth hurts and that's the truth.

Later days...

10 comments:

shogunn_general said...

biasela tu org nk kumpul kt blakang je. backbencher's club.

people say only noobs and nerds duduk kt dpn.

heck.

edd faLco said...

well they shudn't. don't get me wrong..this dent shit is still on my hate list..tp kurg ajar laa wat gitu. its like sum1 is tryin to giv u a tip n u back up a few steps lokking away.

but then agn...the lectrrs brought dis upon thmselves

edd faLco said...

oh n i think i shud mntion the location. it was like a tutorial room..not a lectr hall with those stadium seats. klo x aku pn backseater.

Anonymous said...

hehe.. edd..
aku tag ko.. kalau rajin ko watla.. tapi kalau tanak pun xpe..
kalau aku pun geram jugak dengan lecturer tu.. tapi sabo jela.. :)

Ib said...

dude! i think we can make a whole new blog on how irritating he is.the dean

the sitting behind thing,hurm im not backing them up.but i think their just following their instinct towards danger.AVOID.thats just human nature.but after reminder n no one still wants to move,erm thats sumthin they shud b ashame of..

edd faLco said...

lorh asl rmai comment yg nih lak! i hate dis post..i was hoping more wud commnt on that ramadhan piece! huhu..

oh n ib..no prob in creatg a new blog to souly bash him n all but:
1.skrg bln ramadhn...nnt2 laa ehehe
2.kang nnt doc shuriana jmpa! we'll hv to use codenames! i wanna b redTrem, n he can b the bald vulture or baldV for short..akaka!

Anonymous said...

haha~
sabar je la eda..
tasnm pn xske lectr mc tu..
pape nth!
tp pape pn die ttp lectr yg KNE d h0rmati..
h0rmat scr pakse rela~huU

edd faLco said...

hoit...sje je ko nk gne eminem. curik dooha nye

Anonymous said...

dunn0 wut 2 say.rs nk gelak je bc dis post.hahha.n quite agree wif ib;it's human nature to avoid danger.muahaha!

Anonymous said...

hi..i'm a supersenior just dropping by. when i was in ukm the dean was the timbalan dean. anyways, the majority of us HATED him with his pervert questions.
it's not surprising he's still like that after all these years