Thursday 28 August 2008

Ramadhan is peeping in !!


Yay, Brook! It's gonna be the holy month of Ramadhan in a few days! I can't wait, I love Ramadhan and I think everybody, I mean every Muslim should [No, that wasn't a commanding sentence, no more commanding].

WHY? Here we go...

1. It's a period of realignment.
As Islam is in every aspect of our life, fasting can be very beneficial without you realizing it's effects until you're reading it off flyers abundantly being passed around as reminders in this time of month.
I see Ramadhan [this includes the fasting laa] as a car wash. We go in all battered up here and there, deprived in every way, the mind is heavily torn, even the soul wants to get out! We should get the best out of this coming one as if it will be our last and struggle with all the merit collection...ibadah laa. It's hard, I know, but you will feel very fulfilled once it ends. 10 times the feeling of passing up your final exams paper. No, I haven't felt it but that's what my Ma told me. And I agree because I'm usually never the best example of 'hamba Allah' and everytime Ramadhan ends I feel regretful and kind of hollow. So I know if I buck up and keep it up through the whole month, I can turn the whole tree of consequences upside down. Get all fixed. It's not getting reborn or resetting to default configuration but it can lift you up a level.
Exit the car wash with a tailored interior and gleaming exterior. The spirit all polished to face another year of trials in life.

2. Everyone will be on anger management...hopefully
Because it's generally understood that anger and hatred is a little towards the dark side a.k.a. the devil, we should be free of it when they're [the devils] not even around to provoke it in us. If not then we are the devil...akakaka! Or at least devilish.
I'm hoping I can rid it off me. It's been a while since I've flipped though. I find myself recovering from an episode of tantrum quicker then I usually do. I try to laugh it out loud instead of telling people off or just simply change the environment to switch it off. Maturity? Well, if you consider being rasional is matured, then I guess I am matured...in that aspect of self-control.

3. Family dinner [fast-breaking @ breakfast] becomes special and is of top priority!
I don't think I need to explain this.

4. An excuse to end the day early.
Because it's tiring not getting a bite to eat for 13 hours! That is no excuse, it's pure logic! Even when I was an elementary schooler in England, we were told to stay inside the classroom when the other kids had to go out play in the playground, just so we won't tire easily and can last the whole day since they don't allow us Muslim kids to go home early just because we're fasting. And here's a confession, I cheated on fasting a lot during those times. Always popping in some food in my mouth when nobody's looking.

5. Raya preps...oooh!!
As a student, I can't really feel this anymore. It used to be the best times ever. I miss it dearly. Baking Raya cookies with my sibs, widening those pockets for all the Raya money, the incredible search for new shoes, and I think losing weight was once part of the prep when I was in high school. All these little things [except the weight thing] can be the joys of life for a kid. It's a shame to lose it but somehow we can't agree with it while we're on this voyage.

I'm sure there's a lot more that I missed but I've already taken up enough of my studying session for the night. So, good luck for this Ramadhan.

Later days...

No comments: